Monday, August 31, 2009

Silicone Baking Cups

I absolutely love these cups for muffins or cupcakes as the paper wrappers you can buy always seem to stick.  The trick to these is to let your muffins cool before opening.  They are also fantastic for coating with melted chocolate and then refrigerate.  When you peel them off you have beautiful chocolate cups to fill with fruit or tiramisu....
A recent trick I learned was to use them for freezing leftovers.  You know when you make homemade broth, you usually end up freezing it in 8 cup batches and then you have to defrost the entire thing.... now just pour the amount you want - say 1/2 cup into muffin cup and freeze.  When frozen, just pop out of cup and throw them into a freezer bag.  Then you can grab 1/2 a cup at a time.  This also works well for tomato sauce and paste (I never use an entire jar of tomato paste in a  recipe); fabulous for batches of pesto, or even freezing fruits like cooked pumpkin (I know you can buy pumpkin in a can, but its not the same), so I cook up the whole pumkin and then freeze it in 1 cup increments.  Once frozen in cups, I pop them out and toss them in a freezer bag so I can just defrost 1 or 2 when I need it for a recipe.  For those who are extra adventurous and make their own baby food (surprise, surprise I did!!) ice cube trays work great, but as you baby grows you are defrosting 4 -5 ice cubes, if you use the muffin cups you can freeze larger portions at a tiime.  By the way if you are looking to make your own baby food the book 'The Baby's Table' was awesome.
Hope this info is useful to someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment